- 1 lb Sorrel sepals
- 1" of ginger
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 litres of water
- A splash of rum (ideally Jamaican white rum)
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp ground pimento
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp orange peel
- 1 tbsp lemon peel
- 1 tsp mace
- Grate the ginger
- Add the ginger, sorrel and water to a pot and rapidly bring to the boil.
- Add a selection of optional ingredients to the mixture to taste. You can experiment with these ingredients until you find the combination which is perfect for you.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 10 minutes.
- Take the mixture off the heat. Once it has cooled, place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, take the mixture out of the fridge and strain.
- Stir in the sugar and a dash of rum (the rum helps to preserve the drink). If you wish you can add some wine, sherry or additional rum at this stage.
- Serve with ice.
This recipe prepare 2 litres of sorrel