Italian hot chocolate us thick, rich and creamy, halfway between a drink and a spoon dessert. Imagine hot chocolate pudding, and that is exactly what it tastes like. You can put your spoon in it and the spoon will stand up.
- 1 ½ cups milk (you can use low fat milk if you wish)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons sugar (if you use semi-sweet chocolate reduce this to 2 tablespoons)
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch, whisking until smooth. It is important that there are no lumps.
- Place the remaining half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- When the milk begins to bubble around the edges whisk in the sugar.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture until the milk thickens slightly, usually less than a minute.
- Remove from the heat and quickly whisk in the chocolate until very smooth.
- Pour into two cups.