- 350g plain flour
- 1-2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter or margarine
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
Makes about 20 biscuits.
- Put the flour, ginger and soda into a bowl and rub in the butter.
- Add sugar and stir in the syrup and egg to make a firm dough.
- Roll out to about 5mm thick and cut out your gingerbread men. If you don't have a gingerbread man cutter then use whatever you have - stars and hearts are just as tasty.
- Bake at 190 C /Gas 5 on greased baking trays (spaced out, as they will spread) for 10 to 15 mins until golden brown. Leave to firm up for a couple of minutes before placing on a wire rack to cook.
- Once cooled, decorate with icing.