This Christmas cake recipe is shared by our own Maxine McDonnough and we can certainly recommend it.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- I lb butter
- 8-10 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- I 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- Mixed spice
- I lb raisins
- 1 lb mixed fruits ( prunes cherries etc)
- 1 quart wine (Red)
- Browning (8 ozs)
- Grated lime or orange rind
- Pre-soak fruit in wine and rum for at least 2 months. If this was not possible, steam/stew fruit in wine and rum then add almond flavouring, rose water, vanilla and any other desired fruit flavors.
- Blend fruit mixture.
- Cream butter and sugar until sugar crystals are blended out
- Mix in eggs one at a time
- Combine flour, bread crumbs, baking powder, cinnamon and mixed spice (all dry ingredients)
- Using wooden spoon, fold in dry ingredients, presoaked fruit and browning alternately.
- Add grated orange /lime rind.
- Mixture should not be too thick. To test let wooden spoon stand in middle of bowl and it should fall smoothly to the side of the bowl.
- Pour mixture into pre greased and floured baking tins (Should give 2 big cakes or three medium sized cakes.
- Put in pre heated oven set at 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 40 minutes.
- Decrease temperature to 150 degrees Celsius and bake until done. Test by pricking with toothpick or knife. Cake is baked when tester comes out clean.