Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups walnuts or pistachio nuts
- 4 cups sugar plus 1/2 cup
- 1 lb butter
- 1 package, or 16 oz. frozen filo dough, thawed according to package directions
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rosewater
- cinnamon if using walnuts
Prepare Syrup First
- Combine 4 cups sugar, lemon juice, and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add rosewater and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat immediately.
- Allow to cool.
Preparing Dough and Filling
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and nuts in a bowl. If using walnuts add cinnamon. Preheat oven to 300.
- Unroll dough and cut into 9x12 pieces to fit into dish.
- Grease bottom of 9x12 pan with butter. Place two sheets of dough in the baking dish. Brush dough with butter and repeat until half of filo dough is used.
- Spread about 1 cup of nut mixture over the last layer of dough. Place two sheets of Phyllo dough and brush with butter.
- Repeat until nut mixture is used. On the final layer of Phyllo dough, be sure to brush with butter.
- Cut into 3 inch squares. Then, cut each square in half diagonally to make triangles. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and pour syrup over top of baklava and allow to seep and saturate it well.